BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Great Wall 23 years ago...

Twenty three years ago, I climbing up the steep stairs of the Great Wall or should I say scaling the steep steps (I am scared of heights) screaming at my first younger brother to help me. While, he ran up and down the steps like a GI Joe Ninja warrior, crying as I was climbing. By the grace of God and my families help, I got to the top with my father in front of me and my mother behind me coaching me all the way. As I got to the top of I stood on the Great Wall and thought about many of the same thoughts that I have today. I was in wonderment of the mounmental wall this was and is today. I listened to my father tell us the tradition of the wall. I thought about what I learned in Chinese Day School from Grace and St. Peters... about how this at the time was the only man made structure they could see from the moon. As I ran around on the wall with my brother looking in the little windows and ducking down in the square forts, I thought that I was the luckiest girl around to be in my Chinese Grandmother's and Grandfather's homeland. I was proud that my father was able to take his family to see his heritage. This was the time when not many Americans were allowed into this Communist country. I remember because my mom had blonde hair and blue eyes, people would stop her and stare at her. Some of the richer Chinese tourist would ask to take pictures with her.

The most astounding remembrance to date is the prayer that I had on the wall. The ironic thing is I remember closing my eyes and praying to God telling him that I would be back to pick up my daughter. You see, at the time it was a few years into the one child rule and our guides secretly told us about what families would do... leave their girls, have forced abortions, drown their baby girls, give them to other family members that could not have children, try to send them to a "paper father" in another country and such. Our guide told us about these girls but told us never to tell. I remember saying on that Great "Grand" Wall that I would be back, come helter or scelter to adopt a little one.

So, in two weeks I will be standing on the Great Wall ,with my husband, again praying about my little girl's face that I will be able to see in a few days. I am excited to go to her region of China because I have never been there before. We hear that Hunan is a beautiful water town like the town that we live in. Their are lots of artists and musicians. Little Eliza is suppose to like music which pleases my husband because he loves music and I am sure he will want to help teach Eliza how to play the guitar.

I am so thankful that my husband wanted to self actualize this prayer and dream with me and I am forever Grateful to him for that. I do LOVE him. He is an AMAZING husband and will be an incredible dad even if he does not realize it himself.

I am thankful for the continued support of my family and Richard's family. I am thankful for the support of our friends and that we have friends that 'truly support' our dream.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kindel, what a beautiful story! I can't tell you how happy and excited we all are for you and Richard.
Love, Tracey

Unknown said...

Wow! What a truly amazing story. And to think your dream is now coming true. What remarkable parents you and your husband are going to make.

Cassie

edoogg said...

I am brought to tears! God's work is amazing. Though you have been trying for so long to have a child born from you, all along God was waiting to give you the answer to a prayer you prayed 23 years ago. You are so lucky to have God's hands blessing your life.